Music Teachers’ Association of California
San Francisco Branch
Festival Theme: Bach, Beethoven & Brahms
The purpose of this festival is to celebrate music of Bach ,Beethoven & Brahms. The
festival will consist of one day of auditions from which approximately 20 students will be
selected to perform for the general public in the festival’s gala concert at Old First Church
on Sunday April 26, 2020.
• Any music student age 18 or younger as of April 26, 2020, who is studying with an
MTAC-SF teacher in good standing.
• Each teacher may enter as many students as he/she deems qualified.
• All instruments and ensembles are welcome.
• Participants will choose one piece, one movement or group of short pieces. We
encourage performance of art songs, 4-hand piano pieces and chamber music.
• The ideal length of works presented would be between ~3 and 8 minutes. Pieces
longer than 8 minutes are less likely to be chosen unless the audition
performance is exceptional.
• Pieces must be memorized except for piano parts of art songs and all instruments in
• Judges will choose no more than 2 performers who are presenting the same piece.
• If the teacher has questions about choice of repertoire, please e-mail the festival
chair, Kristina Soriano (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• The application for this festival is available at MTAC San Francisco Branch website:
• Fill out an application online for each student. Payment via Paypal can be made
directly from the application process when all applications are finished.
• If you prefer to send payment by mail, please fill out the application online, and
send the entry fee of $40.00 per student (payable to MTAC-SF) to the branch
treasurer, Yooky Kim (2157 17th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94116). All applications
and payments must be received by Sunday April 12, 2020. Ensembles pay a single
• Date of Auditions: Sunday April 19, 2020. If the student has a preference for a
particular time, please send an email to Kristina Soriano with your scheduling
• Location: Piano Studio of Sumi Lee Levy, 3905 California #2, SF 94118
• The exact time of auditions will be sent to teachers 5 days before the audition date.
• The auditions are closed to the public.
• Students are to dress according to the dress code of any MTAC recital. Therefore,
jeans, T-shirts, sweatshirts, or athletic shoes are not allowed.
• Students must bring the original or a downloaded printed score with proof of
purchase of their music to the audition (no photocopies). The music will be
returned afterwards. Failure to comply with any of these rules will disqualify the
• Participants using music must bring an additional score for the judges.
PROCESS OF JUDGING:
A panel of 2-3 judges will select approximately 20 students to perform in the festival
concert to be held at Old First Church. All judges’ decisions are final.
• The teachers of students selected to perform will be notified the evening of the auditions.
• The comments from the judges will be mailed to the teachers.
All chosen players who perform in the festival concert will receive a ribbon.
There will be a potluck reception downstairs immediately following the ribbon
ceremony after the concert.
The gala performance will take place on Sunday April 26, 2020 at Old First Church,
1751 Sacramento Street at Van Ness, SF 94109 at 3:00pm. Admission fee is $17.
Performers and immediate family members (up to 2) will not pay admission fee.
However, because of our contract with Old First Concerts, extended family members
and friends of performers must pay for admission. 60% of the ticket price will benefit
the San Francisco Branch of MTAC.